Visit http://www.managementguru.net for more management articles.
Who is a trainer?
People who have been trained completely in the art, science, management and engineering of human resource development. Should possess industry specific competencies and must possess interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary knowledge . They should possess excellent recognition from the stakeholders.They should display their professional ethics at all times and under all circumstances. They should have outstanding expertise in IT enabled instructional system technology and its applications in real life situations. They should have success stories in planning and developing cost effective and periodically self updating human resource development programs.They must have to learn continuously to keep up with the fast changing HRD practices.
What should they do?
They should scientifically evaluate the performance of the organization in its environment, its employees at all levels and isolate the areas of weakness. They have to analyse the weaknesses in all cadres ( no exemption) in higher order knowledge, metacognitive skills, creativity, excellent attitudes, fine psychomotor skills and outstanding human relations. They should develop total training needs analyses of all cadres. They have to prepare strategic planning in human resource development to reach excellence. They should prescribe the needed resources, infrastructures, funds and environment for implementation so that their HRD plans do not suffer from inadequate preparation of the clients.
Do not change the well designed HRD plans, if needed be ready to quit! Never sacrifice the professional ethics.
Preparation for Training Needs Analysis:
The trainers need to visit the organization/ institute and observe the status, labs, workshops, resources, library, environment, achievement, aspirations and notice boards, displays, canteen, play grounds etc.They can also discuss with the faculty about the needs for the faculty development areas
Next get detailed information on the terms and reference (TOR).
- Develop the program objectives. Prepare a draft training initiatives and detailed questionnaire to get the feedback and analyse.
- Prepare detailed program brochure and schedule as per the needs .and get the approval.
- Get the resources, and prepare the training materials.Validate the materials.
- Implement the faculty development programs.
Conduct of skill based training programs for industry specific employers:
Most of the times many Indian industries have improved the quality of products, reduce the cost and ensure high quality. Now the company has to train the employees and improve the resources, infrastructure and tools, quality assurance, reduce the stock, improve the capability of the employees.
The steps are as follows:
* Improve the morale and motivation
* Improve the confidence
* Design skill based manufacturing process and train the operators
* Introduce quality circle
* Modify the manufacturing system
* Create modular units
* Encourage multiskills
* Improve critical skills for taking challenges
* Demonstrate the use of new machines and operating process
* Use skill based training
* Use video recording of the quality circle discussions.
* Get the feedback everyday
* Introduce new manufacturing process immediately after the training
* Welcome suggestions and give feedback
* Reinforce the best performance
Training & developing ?
- While implementing the training, evaluate the needs of the participants again. Get their expectations. Articulate.
- Make relevant presentation, video clippings,and concepts and strategies.
- Provide challenging assignments, case studies, and use games to drive important decision making skills.
- Constitute small groups. Watch the progress. Identify the steps taken by the group to analyse the problem. Observe the emergence of leader.
- Let the group evaluate the solution.
- Appreciate good decisions..
- Set higher standards of performance.
- Provide needed learning materials. Success of training depends on to what extent they can transfer the acquired competencies to their workplace!
Executive Consultant in Technical Education and HRD